Decadent Chocolate Gateau
Especially for Mother’s Day There’s nothing more decadent than good quality chocolate, so we selected Green & Black’s organic 70% dark chocolate bar to use in this delicious gateau for Mother’s Day. (14 May) Green & Black’s is available exclusively at Ballantyne SPAR. All the other ingredients are available at SPAR.
- 175 g SPAR butter
- 75g Green & Black’s or any good quality dark chocolate
- 300g SPAR cake flour
- 375g caster sugar
- 25g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp bicarb
- pinch of SAVEMOR salt
- 2 SPAR eggs
- 200g natural yoghurt
- 100ml boiling water
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam (or any other berry)
- 125g Green & Black’s or any good quality dark chocolate
- 400ml cream
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- a handful of SPAR strawberries (or any other berry)
- some melted chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease and line 3 x 20” cake tins.
- Melt together the butter and dark chocolate (gently so the chocolate does not burn and go hard). When melted, stir well and set aside to cool slightly.
- Sift together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa, bicarb, salt)
- Whisk together the eggs and natural yoghurt.
- Add the melted chocolate and butter to the dry ingredients, as well as the egg mixture and 100ml boiling water. Beat well until you have a smooth batter.
- Divide evenly into 3 x 20” cake tins.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, changing tins around after 25 minutes if they are not cooking evenly. They should be evenly risen and firm to the touch, but still slightly sticky on top.
- Set aside to cool in their tins while you prepare the toppings.
- Beat 200ml cream with 3 tbsp icing sugar until stiff.
- Bring the remaining 200ml cream to just below boiling point (as bubbles start to rise) then remove from heat and add 125g chopped chocolate. Stir until the mixture is well combined and glossy.
- Put the chocolate cream into the fridge to set to spreadable consistency. (This can take up to 4 hours so if you can, prepare it in advance.)
- Once the cakes are completely cool, remove from their tins. Spread strawberry jam thinly on 2 cakes.
- Place one cake with jam onto the serving platter or cake stand. Cover with a thick pillow of whipped cream, then place the other cake with jam on top. Add another pillow of cream.
- Place the last cake on the very top.
- Take the chocolate cream out of the fridge and (if necessary) beat it a bit so that it is stiff enough to spread without running off the cake.
- Cover the top cake with Chocolate cream, decorate with a few fresh strawberries dipped in melted chocolate, sprinkle with a light dusting of good quality cocoa powder and/or icing sugar, and serve.